Sunday 17 August 2014

overjoyed with no one to talk to but myself

Travelling alone is amazing. This is the first time I´ve ever done it and it´s fabulous. The weirdest thing about it is completely exploding with joy and having no one to tell. Usually I just find myself gasping and laughing to myself, uttering exclamations of excitement to the air around me. And everyone else who is close enough to hear.

I wish it were appropriate to talk to strangers, moreso. I mean, it´s tough when 75 percent of the people around you speak completely different languages. But all the same, exclamations of joy are decipherable in any language. Luckily I am very gregarious and I´ve been able to meet lots of cool people with whom I can share my enthusiasm while only causing minor annoyance.

Also I´ve been able to practice not only my Spanish but my French as well, as two of my roomates at my hostel are from Paris. I keep mixing up my languages. My cousin Sean said the most insightful thing about learning languages that I have ever heard. He learned Spanish when he went to stay for many weeks in his friend´s village in rural Mexico so he´s a trusted authority on the subject. The word ´fluency´ has the word ´fluid´ as its root, and that´s the way that one should approach language. Let it pour out of you without thinking too hard on proper conjugations or subject-object agreements. That´s what I´ve been doing and though I´m sure I sound like a bit of a heel I´m okay with that. Folks are really nice about letting me practice.

Barcelona is possibly the best city in the world. I know, I know, I haven´t been to every city, but honestly, it would be so hard to top this city. I am just in a constant state of mind-explosion. In a good way. So many advetures and it´s only been two days. My best decision so far was to randomly join a bike tour group. I walked past them in the Barri Gotic (Gothic Quarter) right before they left and I raannnnnn to the bike shop to hook myself up with one. Best. Decision. Ever. It is SUCH a good way to see the city. Plus it helps the Barcelona is practically made for cyclists. So many more adventures but that was definitely the highlight.

So thank you, reader, for letting me pour my excitement all over you. That sounded bad. Oh well. I really appreciate it.



No comments:

Post a Comment